Pages

Saturday, August 22, 2009

Tatuaje Havana VI Angeles


Tonight I thought I would try the Tatuaje Havana VI Angeles I bought recently, a brand with which I have had no experience yet. I am excited to see what all the hype is about with these sticks, and to see if it lives up to the fantastic reviews. This stick is a smaller size (probably a petite corona) at 4 5/8x 42. I like this size for a short smoke, but have trouble finding things I like in this size, so this could be a very good find if it's decent... especially at only around $5 and change per.



Pre-light - The wrapper looks quite nice, and the band is a simple but elegant red with the brand name in script-y font and Fleur De Lis all around. Not the smoothest stick, but this is a quality that really has no effect on the actual smoking in my experience, and a rougher stick can have a nice rusticness to it which I can appreciate. Cut is a Xikar straight, light is a torch, and drink choice is water. Pre-light draw is great- a nice easy draw with a tiny bit of tug.


First Third - The initial draws give off huge amounts of smoke with a very rich, but not overpowering flavor. I can detect a very woody/nutty flavor with a lingering sweet toastyness. No harshness is present at all. The smoke is light enough not to be full-bodied, but on the heavy side of medium with deep, rich flavor. Burn is relatively even, and the ash seems tight and well packed. A vaguely smokey flavor gives this stick a slight roughness to its elegance. I am very much enjoying this stick. A more earthy flavor develops at the end of the first third into the second.


Second Third - I clumsily dropped the nicely forming ash, which is a disappointment as I am generally good at getting a nice, long ash. Nevertheless, this cigar is quickly making a good impression on me. The earthiness has come to the forefront of the flavors, while the others fade into the background, though the woodiness is still prominent. Though the draw has become a teenie bit tougher, it is still very good- producing an even burn and tons of smoke.

Third Third - The earthy-woody-nutty flavors have all joined forces now to create a rich, creaminess that I am very pleased with. The toasty aftertaste is a nice touch throughout. Burn and draw are still the same as the second third, and no hint of heat comes until the very nub. This is worth nubbing! I have not had any bitter or harsh flavors at all, a smooth smoke the whole way. At the end I taste a faint floral flavor along with the sweetness. My only complaint is having to give it a bit of fire, though this could be from the fact that I got up for a minute.


Conclusion and Score - This stick really blew out my expectations. I had thought it was going to be a decent stick, but it proved to be a very complex, creamy stogie with tons of smoke and flavor. Being that this is my first Tat, it left a fantastic impression and I will defiantly be back for more soon. I plan to pick up more of these and it seems that they may be an essential to my humidor going forward. I enjoyed the woody-nutty flavors immensely. Nothing about this cigar was anything but stellar and I would easily give this a 91, though age would have little effect I suspect. The CA rating a while back was a 93, and I can understand why. If you haven't had this yet, it should be high on the list of things to try. Can't wait to get some more!


No comments:

Post a Comment