Pages

Monday, September 27, 2010

La Gloria Cubana Medaille d'Or No. 3

I recently picked up this Habano in a box pass, being interested both because I have never had a La Gloria Cubana, and the fact that it is quite an odd vitola (it could easily be mistaken for a Ticonderoga  No. 2).  The wrapper has a veiny leather texture, and the pre-light draw was not as tough as I'd thought, though with some definite tug.  Lighting up I get creamy, nutty notes with a bold woody flavor.  As I move into the first third a bitter, smokey spice joins the mix.  Though the draw still has some pull, it opens up a bit half way through as a pronounced cedary spice and bergamot tea dominate the now background wood and cream.  The smoke has a velvet-like texture and finish, and a very nice tight, layered ash. 

I really liked the complexity and combination of flavors in this dainty little smoke.  Don't be fooled by the size, this thing packs a nice medium body and is stuffed with flavor.  The construction, minus a tight draw to begin with, was spot on.  My only gripe would be a bit of harshness towards the last third.  I would rate this stick an 89 with possible room for improvement in a few years.  Not a box cigar for me, but definitely one I would like to have around.

No comments:

Post a Comment