Pages

Friday, August 26, 2011

Punch Ninfas ('02)

***Pics coming soon, I forgot my camera at home!

I was recently gifted this tough to find old stick by a SOTL, and thought it would be perfect for my first review in a while (life has been beyond hectic lately..).  The Ninfas has a cult following since being discontinued in 2002, but suffer from occasional draw problems I've heard.  Though I am not a big fan of Punch CCs, I am expecting this cigar to be pretty good!

Sitting out back tonight with a glass of water.  Cut with my Xikar and lit with a torch.

Pre-light - The smell is mainly notes of hay, and the pre-light draw is the same.  The wrapper is a light golden Colorado with some tiny veins.

First Third - Though the draw is on the tougher side, the initial flavors are am elegant mix of medium bodied hay, chocolate, and some spice in the finish.  Unmistakably Cuban.  The smoke is fairly thick for such a thin gauge, and  the ash doesn't last too long, though that is to be expected.

Second Third - This third has a bit more spice to it, with the same hay flavor and some earthiness as well.  The draw leaves a bit to be desired but it is definitely smokable (I probably should have dry-boxed).  Loving this stick!

Third Third - Draw has loosened up now, and the flavors continue to be hay, spicy pepper, and earth.  The finish is long, with lingering spice.  Perfectly smooth up front all they way through the finish.  An almost malty flavor pops up towards the end.

Conclusion and Score - I can totally see why these cigars are so sought after.  Minus some draw tightness, this thing has it all- flavor, a smooth texture, a lasting finish, and that definitive Cuban tastiness.  I would rate this a 93, with room for improvement mainly in draw.  Not the most complex cigar out there, but a true jem for CC and thin gauge lovers alike.

No comments:

Post a Comment