Pages

Monday, December 14, 2009

H. Upmann Connnoisseur No. 1

I grabbed a fiver of these a while back, and almost forgot about them. Recently there has been some buzz about the 08 year (which this is), so I decided that it was time to smoke one. H. Upmann is quickly becoming one of my favorite CC brands, so we'll see if this stick stacks up to my expectations. Short review today!

This stick starts off with a nice tug on the draw, and opens with plenty of nutty/chocolaty flavors, and a bit of cedar. The burn is decent, and the ash is holding nicely with many ragged layers. Stronger than I expected so far, with nice rich flavors. The ash held for a good 2 inches before dropping, and around this point I tasted some nice mild coffee. A toasty aftertaste lingers after I blow out the smoke which is nice. I am a fan of toastyness. The smoke isn't all that plentiful, but that may be due to a draw on the tighter side -no complaints though. Started to get a bit bitter a bit over half way through, but came back to stride after a quarter inch. The last third isn't quite as rich in flavor as the first two, with flavors that aren't as defined. Ash continues to hold nicely. The bitterness came back towards the end which was disappointing, but it was still a decent smoke, and I would give it an 86. I believe that with a few years of age, the bitterness will disappear; if the flavors can stay constant throughout with no bitterness, this could probably break the 90s. The other four I have are going back to sleep!




No comments:

Post a Comment