Pages

Sunday, January 24, 2010

CAO La Traviata Divino

Being bored today, I wanted to get a cigar in before the NFL Playoffs and decided it was time to see what all the buzz is about over the CAO La Traviata. CAO's newest creation is named for an old Cuban brand, tries to mimic olde-world Cuban style. Lets see how it stacks up!


CAO has picked some leathery, dark, dense tobacco for this cigar, and it feels great in your hand. The pre-light on this Robusto sized stick tastes almost exactly like the sweet raisiny flavor of Redman to me, a flavor I really enjoy. After lighting, I get a nice tug on the draw and plenty of thick smoke. The flavors consist of a creamy medley of nut, sweet, and cedar notes (the cedar being a tiny bit spicy). Burn and ash start out perfect. I am enjoying the full-bodied flavors and body, but look for some more complexity. The second third explodes with coffee and earth flavors, though the flavors from the first third still stick around. Burn is razor sharp, draw is fantastic, and ash holds for over an inch before I drop it. Finishing up, I am still getting alot of coffee flavors though with some wood and spice and some sweet molasses. I rarely compare sticks to each other, but this reminds me of a VSG in body, construction and some of the flavors- though at a Casa Magna like price. A bit more complexity and this would be perfect.

I really enjoyed all hour and fifteen minutes of the La Traviata, it is a high quality product. The flavors were robust and tasty, and the construction was top notch. I would gladly give this a 90 rating, and will definitely be smoking more of these soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment