Pages

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

The "Black Ghost"

After hearing some talk about a LE house blend cigar rolled by an ex-Opus Master Roller, I asked around, and found out that the "Black Ghost" is a gnarly looking stick, rolled by Francisco from Habana Premium in upstate NY. It is said to be a real powerhouse sporting a Peruvian wrapper. The Corona Gorda sized stick is rather ugly, having a funky colored wrapper, a little pigtail, and lots of lumps. My curiosity lead to a bomb by a BOTL from Asylum, who sent me two of these so that I could do a review. Seems like I will be in for an interesting experience!



Cut is a Palio, lit with matches, and paired with cold water. Enjoying this with a good buddy, who will be smoking his first CC courtesy of Santa. Feels great to push someone down the slope ;)



Pre-Light - As I said before, this is really an ugly cigar. The wrapper has patchy colors and lumps, and is a bit squishy in some spots. That aside, the pre-light draw is nice, with a tiny tug.


First Third - The draw opens up immediately with thick, cloudy smoke. Wood and a dark, earthy note dominate the flavors right off the bat, and I can already tell this will be quite a strong cigar. Black tea and straight raw tobacco are also in the flavor mix, and it reminds me of a young, ultra-full-bodied Cuban. Ash is flaky but tight, and looks very dark in color, and again, I think CC. After setting it down for only a minute or two while I sent a text message, it went out! No problem after re-lighting though.


Second Third - The burn is going well, though ranging from sharp to somewhat ragged. More tea and black pepper notes are developing, complementing the earthy flavors. I am enjoying the Ghost so far, but it is flirting with the fine line between complexity and muddiness, most likely because of the darkness of the flavors.



Third Third - This cigar is no wimp- I can feel the strength creeping up in the back of my throat. Black tea and earth are dominating the last third, with some rich spice in the background. Ash/burn/draw continue to be on target, and no more re-light problems. Smoker beware with nose-exhaling- trust me it burns like hell.


Conclusion and Score - I smoked one of these previously, and I must say it was not half as good. Not sure if it was more humi time or the fact that I smoked the first one in 15 degree weather, but I was very impressed this time through. This wasn't the most complex cigar I have had, or the most refined in flavor, but it certainly had a nice punch in both body and taste. A rugged, dark, earthy flavor dominated- something that I don't find with too many sticks, and am rarely in the mood for, but today it hit the spot. I would give this an 89 rating, with possible room for improvement if the young, tea like flavor cold mellow with some age.




No comments:

Post a Comment