Pages

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Don Pepin Garcia Series JJ Maduro Belicoso - Guest Review

I have been eager to post some guest reviews by friends to get another perspective, and after a good BOTL sent me his review of this stick, I had to put it up! So, without further ado, Matt's review of the DPG Series JJ Maduro Belicoso:


Background - Picked this up from a box-pass, other than that I don’t know much about its background.

Construction - The wrapper on this cigar is a beautiful dark brown, a little tooth, no spotting. To the touch it feels very supple, didn’t find any under filled spots or any spots that felt particularly harder than any other part. Excellent construction.

Pre-light - Draw has a slight tug, which I find unusual for DPGs, so that was something new for me. Lots of spice to this cigar on the cold taste, not much pepper though. I’m already liking the taste of this cigar.

First third - Smacks you in the face with spice and now the pepper hits, very earthy as well. Full-bodied at this point, lots of creamy smoke, and it has a sweet smooth finish to it. The sweetness lingers for a good while after each puff leading me to say that this provides a nice long finish on the palate. Burn is even at this point.

Second third - Still very spicy, and I like that! The pepper note has dissipated, it’s still a little earthy, but a leathery element is coming through. I’m not getting a cedary note, and I’m not sure if that is something normal for this line or not. Very enjoyable, burn is pretty even, no noticeable canoeing or tunneling.Final third - The spice has not stopped and I’m loving it. The earthiness has gone away, but still extremely enjoyable, and the sweet smooth finish remains long. The burn has stayed even. The draw got a little hot towards the end, but didn’t take anything away from the taste.Overall impression - Extremely enjoyable cigar, very spicy throughout the entire smoke, and a sweetness that lingered on the palate the entire time. I’m definitely going to be keeping some of these in my humidor. Consistent, enjoyable, and smooth would be the best 3 words I could use to describe this cigar. Well, I'm no pro, but I'd give the cigar a 93. It was a solid performer all the way around, and it is right up my alley as far as flavor profiles go.


-The Badger

No comments:

Post a Comment