Pages

Saturday, August 21, 2010

Viaje Summerfest Torpedo

I was sent this stick recently by a great BOTL, and thought it would make for an interesting review. The Summerfest blend is a special release from Viaje for the summer of 2010, coming in a Robusto (later add on) and Torpedo (the original planned size). The cigar itself has 1.5 inches of unwrapped foot (yes, that is just tobacco flapping in the breeze), which makes it quite a sight... I hope the flavors are as interesting as the shape!

I'll be smoking outside tonight, lighting with matches and cutting with my Palio. To get a proper light, I cut almost all of the shaggy foot off, leaving around a quarter inch out of interest.

The Summerfest starts out with a medium bodied spice, some earthy wood flavors, and a nice toasty flavor that rounds it out. There is definitely an unmistakable creaminess and a bit of carmel to the smoke as well. The burn is pretty decent, though required a touch up along the way. Draw and ash have been perfect thus far, while the spice has faded out. The wood flavor has taken over with the spice emerging again, and some nice bitter dark chocolate nuances. In the last third, the D/A/B are all spot on. Woody flavors dominate along with espresso/dark chocolate and another round of the toasty note. I smoked this stick down to the tasty little nub, and would rate it a ninety (90). Though I think last year's Holiday Blend is a slightly better cigar (it had a bit more full-bodied flavor), this stick is definitely a winner. I will definitely be looking for more!

No comments:

Post a Comment